Sunday, March 04, 2012

Ralph McQuarrie passes on

One of the world's finest concept artists, Ralph McQuarrie, passed away at 82.  Ralph was the father behind the visuals we all have been affected by in the original Star Wars trilogy.  I was seven when the first Star Wars film, A New Hope was released in theaters. At that age I was a prime candidate for the infectious and unforgettable moments that burned into my mind not only great moments in film but a new way of observing the world.

I have chosen this painting of Ralph's because I had the opportunity to view the original in the Star Wars show in San Francisco in 1995 and it reminds me of Yoda's wisest of lines in Empire. Words I still live by today.

A sad farewell and a most gracious thank you to Ralph for inspiring me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, thanks for sharing this personal tribute. I'd love to know what is Yoda's "wisest of lines in Empire," to which you've referred in this posting. Would you care to share that here, please?
-Karen P

Mike Mattesi said...

The one and only..."Try not, do or do not, there is no try." Tough but true words to live by.

Anonymous said...

Wise, indeed!
Thanks, Mike.
-Karen P